Benefits of Being Active:
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. If you are not about becoming active or boosting your physical activity because you’re afraid of getting hurt, the good news is that moderate-intensity aerobic activity, like brisk walking, is generally safe for most people.
10 Tips to Stay Active Year Round
It’s easy to make a resolution to get fit but staying active in all seasons can be a challenge. It can be hard to keep motivated and all kinds of barriers can get in the way of exercise.
Here are some tips to help you stay active all year round:
- Make getting fit enjoyable – Pick an activity (or range of activities) that appeals to you, since you’re more likely to keep to an exercise plan if you like it.
- Choose activities that suit your lifestyle – Consider your budget, physical abilities and amount of free time.
- Check out local exercise options – Opportunities to be active in your neighborhood may include leisure centers, sports clubs, parks, walking trails, swimming pools or exercise classes.
- Make exercise a social event – Find a friend or family member to be active with so you can motivate and reward each other, or make some new friends through a class or club.
- Plan ahead for bad weather – Head to your local swimming pool or gym to exercise indoors.
- Keep some exercise equipment at home - Options include exercise DVDs, a stationary bike, skipping rope or fitness ball.
- Have fun getting physical - Go dancing, fly a kite, throw a Frisbee or swim in the sea – you’re not limited to sports and structured exercise programs.
- Get active around the house - Housework, washing the dog and gardening are all physical activities that burn calories and help keep you fit.
- Look for incidental ways to move your body every day - For example, walk or cycle to the local shops, instead of driving the car. Use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator.
- Involve the whole family in keeping fit - Arrange for outings that are physically active, such as walking the dog, rowing or hiking.
Everyone can gain the health benefits of physical activity - age, ethnicity, shape or size do not matter.